Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Shooting Stars

Three days on a ferry is a long time.  I was pretty antsy by the third day.  At the same time, I had a lot of trepidation about actually getting off the ferry.  It was sort of the final act of my leaving Alaska.  As long as I was on the ferry I was on Alaska time and thus, still in Alaska.  The minute my wheels touched solid ground it was all over.  Thursday night I had drinks in the bar with some other people from the ferry.  We laughed and talked and had a great time.  I came back out on deck to one of the most beautiful night skies I have ever seen.  The stars were brilliant and the Milky Way was clear.  I ended up walking to the railing and lying down on the deck with one of the guys I met on the ferry and just watching the sky and talking about all our travel adventures.  I love to hear about other people’s stories and it was fun to find someone who loves to travel in the same way I do.  Pretty soon, we started to see shooting stars.  Lots of them.  I felt like it was a show put on just for me.  Sort of a farewell back from the place I’d been saying goodbye to for weeks.  What a perfect way to end the trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment